Saturday 27 July 2013

Fine Metal Project- 'Calow Hospital'

Fine Metal was a really enjoyable project for me. I found that working with metal was a lot like working with clay; the both can be molded and manipulated into anything you want. In terms of the project, the brief stated that the final outcome should represent something that protects something else, such as a birds nest protecting eggs. As this project was to do with the Hartington unit of the hospital (a wing that offers support and help for those who are under stress of a mental illness) the theme of protection was a great place to start and create a structure that could be made for the outside area of the wing.

To begin with I started looking at microscopic organisms; I noticed that they had a sphere at the center and had spikes or tubes coming out from the sphere as a defense mechanism, protecting itself. I thought this would be a perfect way to start the theme of protection. So I researched about microscopic organisms, partaking to looking deeply into the organisms that hailed from deep oceans and seas. I then expanded my research into viruses as they have a similar form to the microscopic organisms I was researching beforehand. This soon went onto birds nests as the theme of protection was really obvious and strikes a similarity between the other two inspirational forms as some nests can be spherical in appearance.

Test Design 
This is a test piece for my final outcome. After some sketches of possible ideas i settled for this design. I wanted to create a design that took all the elements of the forms and shapes I have been looking and researching into. From this creation I made, I found all of the possible complications that could hinder the physical making of my final piece. I discovered three things; Blunt the edges of the 'spikes' to make it more safe for audiences, make sure everything is secure with quality welds and use the same tool to create bends in the wire to create a flawless look.

Worksheet showing the thought process of final designs
Towards the end of the project. I completed the designs for my final piece and portrayed my thought process through a A1 worksheet. I decided for my final piece it will be three forms in a series of three. Each one of these designs share the same theme of protection; a rough outside protecting a beautiful inside. I named the pieces 'Gemima, Gabriella and Zebidiah. The meanings for thesee names are of peace, tranquility and protecting words that link with the purpose of the work.

Overall, I found that my pieces worked well and showed the theme of protection perfectly. Each piece showed a difference to each other, yet had enough similarities to be part of a series of three.

'Gemima, Gabriella and Zebidiah'-My final outcome



No comments:

Post a Comment