Wednesday 12 November 2014

Liverpool Biennial 2014

I have been meaning to write a post on this years Biennial for a couple of weeks. Around three weeks ago I went to Liverpool with my university course to see some of the galleries participating together with this years Biennial called 'A Needle walked into a haystack'. I went to various galleries such as 'The old Blind School', FACE and Liverpool Contemporary. The old blind school was a far out favorite of mine as they exhibited works that really opened my eyes to what contemporary art is. I wrote a thousand word review on this visit, primarily based on the old blind school. Here is a short example of what i wrote:



'My first impressions of walking into the old blind school, was something of a pleasant surprise. My feelings on the way to the gallery was of course curious because of the bizarre name of the place, which did spark some form of interest into going. But inside, the gallery was breath-taking; the walls were crumbling in places, paint was peeling away from years of neglect and a once large brick fire place has given way to time and became part of the floor with broken brick, these becoming more like walkway cobbles than the foundations of a once fiery heart of the building. ‘The Liverpool school for the blind’, founded by Edward Rushton in 1791, was the first school of its kind in this country. The school taught its students trades such as brush-making, Braille, basket weaving, piano tuning and knitting. Over the years, however, the school became other things from a trade union to a famous independent music venue (1984-2004) and a police station of sorts. There is no wonder why the place is worn out'.

Peter Wachtler 'Untitled' 2013, Watercolour on Paper.
 Private Collection.
Still from 'The Waterway' Louise Herme and Chloe Maillet.
 HD Colour film with sound, 25'. 2014.





I am really happy that i went to thr Biennial. If i did not go, i would not have seen such works from artists that i had no idea about before going. It has also made me rethink my opinion on Liverpool, I used to dislike the city from a few times i have been but going to the city purely as a artist, I now find the city colourful and full of life in terms of art and has shown to me a vibrant art scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment